Coloured tiles are a great way to add personality and brightness to any room. A properly laid tile will last for decades. So, it’s critical that you choose the right tile colour that you won’t get bored of easily. As the top ceramic tile flooring supplier in India, our tile experts can help you pick the right tile colours for your project.
Without any further ado, let’s go tile shopping!
How to shop for the right tile for my space?
Choosing the best tiles for your needs depends on several factors. Besides the colour and design, you also have to consider other factors like the texture, material and suitability. To give an example, porcelain tiles work better for exterior usage, since it’s water-resistant and weather-resistant.
Textured tiles, on the other hand, are better for using in bathrooms since they do not become slippery when wet. Ceramic tiles, on the other hand, are most suitable for indoor usage, since they score well on aesthetics.
- The first step before you go tile shopping is to reflect on functionality of the space – it’s needs, usage style and more.
- The next step is to decide the aesthetics – how the space will look – do you want it to feel relaxed and cosy or contemporary and modern?
Choosing the Tile Colours
Finding tiles in the perfect colour is a huge challenge. There are several factors to consider before you make a decision. For example, if you’re tiling a small space, then you would want to avoid dark-coloured tiles, as they make the space appear smaller. On the other hand, neutrals, beiges and whites make the space appear larger as they reflect light.
On the other hand, when tiling an entryway or kitchen it’s a good idea to opt for a darker colour like dark grey, brown, terracotta and navy blue. This is because, these areas see a lot of foot traffic and using lighter coloured tiles means it can get dirty easily.
When it comes to bathroom flooring, using bold colours like navy blue, hunter green, grey and black lends a strong anchoring presence to the room and makes it feel more elegant. Using contrasting bold colours helps to add glamour and drama to the space.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for the tile to fade into the background, then opting for neutral colours like cream, off-white, beiges and matte whites will help the tile fade into the background and the rest of the design elements pop out.
5 Rules to Follow while Choosing Tile Colours
1: Always Consider the Room Size before Choosing the Colour
- Floor tiles in light colours like neutrals, beiges and creams make a small room appear bigger. Use tiles in light colours for narrow hallways, small bathrooms, etc.
- On the other hand, floor tiles in darker colours like rich chocolate, burgundy, burnt brown, navy blue and sienna work best for large rooms with an open floor plan and plenty of natural light.
2: Choose the Tile Type
Not all tiles are made equal. Certain tile types work best for particular areas.
- Stain resistant vitrified and ceramic tiles work best for bathrooms, kitchen walls, countertops, etc.
- Dense tiles like porcelain tiles are best suited for floors with plenty of footfall.
3: Use a Colour Wheel to Decide on the Colour Combination
A colour wheel is a handy tool that you can use while choosing colours. Here are a few basic colour mantras to follow:
- You can make a vibrant statement by choosing contrasting colours that lie on opposite ends of the colour wheel. For example, for a living room you can match a terracotta floor tile with a vibrant purple or green wall tile to make a bold statement.
- On the other hand, for rooms where you want to relax like a bedroom or bathroom, choose tile colours that lie on the same sides of the colour wheel. This helps to create a more relaxing and tranquil ambience.
4: Be Smart with your Pattern Selection
For high-traffic areas, look for tiles with a mottled pattern, as wear and tear and dirt are not very visible on patterned tiles. On the other hand, for areas you want to create a calming effect, go for solid colours to avoid a cluttered look.
Also, note that vitrified porcelain tiles are available in textures that resemble natural materials like wood, marble, granite, cloth and more. Using these tiles will help you get the look of natural materials for a fraction of the price of natural stones and hardwood floors. As the top vitrified flooring supplier in India, we can help you find the perfect vitrified tiles that suit your project requirements.
5: Finally, let the Colour Shine
Don’t be afraid to experiment. Using a bright and bold colour for the kitchen or bathroom backsplash is a great way to accentuate the decor and make the colour pop. Think of choosing tile colours as choosing a piece of art – let it take centre stage.
Hope this gives you an idea on choosing the right colours for your tiling needs. If you need any further inputs, you can always drop a hi to our team. As the top porcelain floor tiles supplier in India, we can help you pick the perfect tiles for your home renovation needs. So, give us a ring and let’s get started on your upcoming design project.